New Zealand is the home of the world’s most southern vineyards with over 1300 registered wine producers. Some regions have been producing wine for centuries, priding themselves in mastering this skill. With beautiful maritime climate, endless sunshine and a non-stop sea breeze benefiting the grape wines, it’s no wonder that New Zealand wines are some of the most beloved and valued wines in the world.
Famous Wines and Wine Producers
Unique wines of New Zealand have been world renowned for a reason. International award-winning Pinot Noir and Sauvignon Blanc are probably the most famous, but not the only amazing wines produced in this country. Chardonnay, Pinot Gris, Riesling, Merlot, Cabernet or Syrah, whichever you prefer, wine is one of the few great value purchases left in New Zealand that you cannot go wrong with.
Wine producers in New Zealand are with no doubt great connoisseurs of the soil, climate, temperature and all the other factors that influence the production of the most amazing wines as follows:
- Brancott Estate in Marlborough is one of the producers that has brought the fame to New Zealand with its award-winning Sauvignon Blanc.
- Te Mata Estate in Hawke’s Bay is one of the oldest family-owned wineries that are proud of their heritage and nationally renowned wines.
- Rippon Vineyard in Central Otago deserves a special mention for its use of biodynamic processes and holistic approach with no fertilisers or pesticides.
- Pegasus Bay in Canterbury is one of the world-famous wine producers from New Zealand, with their award-winning Pinot Noir, Riesling and Chardonnay.
- Neudorf Vineyards from Nelson are one of the smallest wine producers in New Zealand, but that didn’t stop them from penetrating the world’s market.
- Mission Estate in Hawke’s Bay was established in 1851 and is New Zealand’s oldest winery that is proud of its massive production facilities of quality wines.
- Villa Maria Winery in Auckland started small, but today it is one of the biggest wine producers in New Zealand. This winery is famous for its brave moves to make production more sustainable.
These are just some wineries that stand out all throughout the wine regions of New Zealand. The list of amazing wine producers in New Zealand could go on and on, so if you intend to visit, make sure to do your research and find the offer or a tour that suits you the best.
Sustainability is the word that seems to be used by a lot of New Zealand’s wine producers. The need and love for sustainable production come from the original settlers that learnt that, in order for life to thrive in their remote location, they needed to use the resources sparingly and smartly. Wine producers inherited this way of thinking and are using the Earth’s resources respectfully. Many wineries pride themselves with sustainable production that brings the world some of the tastiest wines.